Friday, November 02, 2007

hunter dorms and depression food long gone...

I had the opportunity to hang out with Jenn today who was visiting from Modesto, Calif... We've come a long, long way since over 14 years ago when we were Hunter dorm mates struggling on East 25th Street. It was good to catch up, walk around the city, gossip about folks like Sunflower Guy and the MLS kids, and catch some educational fun at the American Museum of Natural History in the UWS. Jenn is a lot older than me (although with the purple streaks in her hair you wouldn't know it), my dad and hers are close friends from the Phils, and she basically adopted me as a kid sister, really showing me tips on how to survive in NYC. I don't know what I would have done without her during my first six months living away from home... It was fun to remember the days of "depression food" (in lieu of ramen noodles -- it was microwave-baked potatoes and eggs when we were low on cash). It's a bit ironic that the former hardcore New Yorker is now living in the middle of a Central California agricultural/cultural wasteland -- we've switched places big time.



By the way, I love the Rose Center for Earth and Space and the Robert Redford-narrated space show, Cosmic Collisions. The scary reptile room and primates --- um.... freaked us out a bit, and I can only imagine what little kids must think. We were a bit bummed that we were a day too early for the opening of the Water H2O exhibit, and we had fun connecting with our roots walking through the Hall of Asian Peoples.