Tuesday, August 23, 2005

there are worst places to get stuck...

After a stressful summer back in NYC, I have to admit that it's really nice to be back in Hell-ay.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous, and I was tripping out over being able to see the moon up close on the drive back from Orange County to the Valley. It's been months since I've really looked up in the sky... Them darn skyscrapers and city lights keep getting in the way!

Started my trip on a fairly mellow note - chilling in front of my dad's HDTV, going shopping with mom and Aunt Rosemarie, spending some time with Lola Remy (the closest person to being a grandparent these days, she's on her way back to the Phils., so timing was perfect), endured the "Why aren't you married?" and "When will you have children?" discussion with all (Lola suggested that I start a prayer devotion to the Virgin Mary for help in that department), and had a good laugh with my parents over what I should wear to Taylor and Sunita's wedding this coming weekend. I showed off three different Indian outfits, and my dad was kidding that I probably don't want to end up looking like a Christmas tree (one of the skirts is green with gold and red beading).

I basically hijacked my mom's Mazda 626 for the remainder of the trip, so in return, I'm driving her to and from work the whole week. I dropped her off, then met up with Dan at his house to chat and discuss where his two little girls (with a third kid on the way) should go to elementary school. He's leaning toward my old alma mater - St. John Eudes, and was asking me about my early high school experience at Chaminade.... kinda took me back to place that I hadn't thought about in ages. He then turned the tables on me and yet again, I endured the "Why aren't you married?" and "When will you have children?" discussion, mixed in with the "Why don't you move back home?" debate. Gotta love Dan. He's such a good guy - totally devoted to his wife, kids, and living a clean and decent life. He still manages to fit in time to help coach high school football and try to raise funds for St. Gen's High School (where he and I both graduated), with little or no recognition.

After our visit, I drove two hours on the 405 during rush hour traffic to the O.C. to visit Debbie, a fellow Chami/Chatsworth survivor. She and her boyfriend live in Aliso Viejo, the next town over from Laguna Beach. To my delight, I found out that she recently took up going to the golf range, so she and I headed to Aliso Creek to hit a few buckets and relax a bit before we headed out to dinner in LB. We had fun walking around town, after having a nice dinner at this little Italian joint (not Pomodoro's which it seems every couple on the TV show ends up having dates or fights). Unfortunately, right before we had left the car, my mom's keychain fell apart. Deb thought she had put it together, but we discovered that we were missing the car key, thus locking ourselves out. Since I was not all too thrilled at the prospect of calling my mom to drive out with her spare keys (never mind that she's the only person in LA that I know that doesn't drive freeways), luckily, Deb had recently enrolled in Triple A so she called them (she's such the smart cookie!). As we waited, I was amazed that I wasn't having a "trizzy" fit -in true, total, neurotic, "let's go ballistic New Yorker" LT fashion. I guess there are worst places to get stuck than on a quaint little strip on South Coast Highway. We happened to have parked in front of this cute French bistro, ironically named "C'est la vie" so we grabbed some coffee and desserts, and continued to chat and laugh.

Today's agenda: yoga with Cindy F., lunch somewhere in Pasadena with Micki and her latest newborn (her third as well- folks like her and Dan are freaking me out!) , and sushi with Lisa, Heather, Polly, and Guy. Oh, and lastly, getting a new keychain for Mom.